Disclaimer: This is just a study outline. Not to be substituted with real textbooks. If there are any data errors, or areas for improvement, comment down below so I can edit it. This is for personal purpose but I love sharing knowledge. Happy studying! Ganbatte!
Plant Design Requirements
- Process Evaluation
- Safety o Control
- Capital Estimation – evaluation of the plant project
- Total Capital Investment = Fixed Capital Investment + Working Capital [ TCI = FCI + WC ]
- Working Capital – 10% – 20% of the capital investment (Note: If the percentage is not given, use 15% as default)
- Chemical Engineering Plant Cost Index (CEPCI) – use this for CHEMICAL PLANTS
- Marshal and Swift Index – use for CHEMICAL EQUIPMENT
- Nelson- Farrar Index– use for PETROLEUM REFINERY
[TABBING GUIDE: Check Page 9 -13, COST INDEX TABLE , Perry’s ChE Handbook 8th Edition]
SOLVING PROBLEM GUIDE:
- Example, if you wish to find the diameter of the tank (Dt) you need to know the volume first (V) and so on.
- Volume (V)
- Diameter of Tank (Dt)
- Diameter of the impeller (Di)
- Reynold Number of the Impeller (NRT,I)
- Power Number (Np)
- Power Requirement (P)
[TABBING GUIDE: Check Page 6-35, Reynold’s and Power Number Diagram Perry’s ChE Handbook 8th Edition]
Note: Answers available in the next page.
- It is the ability to resist deformation or deflection
- Which of the following spot-examined type has the lowest joint efficiency factor?
- It is the recommended cost index for cost estimation of chemical plants.
- The cost of handling of materials is considered under the _.
- How much is the estimated working capital if the total investment is 2.5M?
- Estimate the year 1992 cost of an equipment if its 500-L equivalent costs Php3.5 M.
- Estimate the cost of 2000-L equipment if its 500-L equivalent costs Php 3.5M
- Calculate the wall thickness of a cylindrical pressure vessel with a radius of 30 inches and internal operating pressure of 200 psig. The allowable stress of the material is 10,000 psi and the joint efficiency is 0.85.
- Calculate the head thickness of the pressure vessel in #8 for a 2:1 ellipsoidal head.
- Calculate the wall thickness of the pressure vessel in #8 if it was spherical instead.
- Calculate the tank diameter of a CSTR which has a liquid volume of 300 m3?
- Calculate the impeller diameter of the CSTR given in #11?
- What is the impeller Reynolds number of a mixing tank (Di= 1.75-m) containing hydrogen peroxide with an agitation speed of 20 rpm? (µ=1.245 cP)
- What is the power number for the given mixing tank condition in #13?
- How much is the power requirement for the mixing tank in #13?
ANSWERS AVAILABLE IN THE NEXT PAGE!